ZocdocAnswersWhat vitamins/dietary restrictions can I start with to restore a healthy flora in my vagina?

Question

What vitamins/dietary restrictions can I start with to restore a healthy flora in my vagina?

I am a 25 year old female in a committed relationship. I had a persistent yeast infection about 4 months ago I went through many different remedies to get rid of it. I feel like I may have thrown off the balance of the flora in my vagina. Since that time, I've had consistent pain during and after sex (but not on initial penetration). The pain is a burning feeling (similar to how rug burn feels) and tenderness. I suspect vulvar vestibulitis or vulvadynia.

Answer

You should go see your OB GYN doctor or primary care doctor about this problem. The first thing would be to make sure that you do not still have a chronic yeast infection, especially if you have any itching, redness, or discharge. Your doctor will be able to examine the area and also perhaps take a sample to determine this. If you do have a chronic yeast infection, this may require treatment. You will also want to avoid anything you might be doing to throw off the vaginal flora balance. In particular, if you are using any vaginal cleansers or vaginal douching techniques, you should stop this, as this definitely will cause irritation and predispose to infections. Another possibility is that you are having an inflammatory reaction to some product that you are using with sex, such as the condom brand or a personal lubricant. You might want to try switching these and seeing if it makes a difference. Also you should use absorbent, cotton underwear while dealing with this problem, as less absorbent fabrics tend to be more irritating. Please set up an appointment with your doctor, who will be able to help you figure out what is going on.