ZocdocAnswersCan I lose weight through a raw diet?

Question

Can I lose weight through a raw diet?

It's hard to find a fat vegan. Should I try a raw diet for weight loss? I'm 31 and bigger than I'd like.

Answer

I agree that it is hard to find an overweight vegan, though I have seen them before. People that consume more fruits and vegetables tend to consume less calories that those that consume all different types of foods. This is the reason that vegans tend to weigh less. However, if you consume more calories than you burn you will not lose weight. This is true for any diet you choose. Some patient I have taken care of have tried switching to vegetarian or vegan diets in attempts to lose weight. Many are successful. The ones that are not successful fail because they still consume high calorie foods such as salad dressing and pasta. Consuming these foods is not necessarily bad for your health, it just makes it harder to consume less calories than you burn. Most successful diets involve adding more fruits and vegetables into the diet while initiating an exercise plan to burn more of those calories away. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will be able to review your diet plan and make suggestions that will help you lose weight without losing out on important vitamins and nutrients that can be found in meat and dairy products. Good luck.