Does sciatica cause tingling in the leg?

I have sciatica but recently started feeling a tingling in my leg. Kind of like it's asleep but worse. Is this the sciatic?
Sciatica is a common medical condition that many people suffer from. While it can be very troubling and distressing, it rarely progresses to a state that causes physical limitation or permanent damage. Regardless, I would recommend that you have this evaluated by your primary care doctor. He or she can help determine if there are any reversible causes of this as well as potentially give therapies to alleviate your symptoms. Sciaitica is a general term that loosely describes a set of symptoms where one has numbness or tingling sensation in the leg. This term is invoked when these symptoms are thought to be caused by nerve impingement in the nerves that feed the leg. It is caused by compression of these nerves as they leave the spinal cord (in the back). As such, this is often caused by degeneration of the spine (bones of the back). The numbness and tingling you describe is known as a parasthesia -- and is classic for sciatica. There are many treatments for sciatica. Paramount is alleviating the compression of the nerve in the back. What can also be done is medicines to decrease the nerves irritation. Physical therapy is often helpful. If you have any weakness or changes in your pooping or peeing -- please see the emergency room immediately.

• Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Iosif Goldman
    Dr. Iosif Goldman DO
    7 Auer Ct
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309