ZocdocAnswersCan a ruptured disc lead to sciatica?

Question

Can a ruptured disc lead to sciatica?

I had ruptured a disk a while agoand now have sciatica. I am 49. Is this what caused it?

Answer

To begin, there are a few details that may help answer your question. How were you diagnosed with the ruptured disc? Did you have an MRI performed of your back, and if so, what level was noted to have the ruptured disc? For example, common areas that can have lumbar disc herniations include the L4 and 5 disc space and the L5 and S1 disc space. Secondly, what are the symptoms that you are experiencing that you are calling sciatica? Have you been diagnosed with this? Do you have numbness, tingling or weakness in your leg or legs? The answers to these questions will be helpful when discussing the symptoms with your primary care doctor. The information, along with your medical history and clinical presentation will help your primary care doctor best decide upon the appropriate work up and possible treatment options. This may include imaging studies and possibly a referral to a specialist. There is a distinct possibility that herniated discs can cause sciatica but it is best to be evaluated by a primary care doctor who will best be able to diagnose whether this is indeed sciatica related to a herniated disc or something else.