ZocdocAnswersHow should a pregnant woman's diet change in her second trimester?

Question

How should a pregnant woman's diet change in her second trimester?

Hello. I am 24 and on my first pregnancy. Should I change what I eat now that I've entered the second trimester?

Answer

The most important part of the pregnancy is often felt to be the first 3 months after conception, because this is the time when all of the organs and other major body parts are being formed. After this vital period is over, the bulk of the growth occurs in these existing organs, rather than creating new body parts. For that reason, the most important thing is to be consistent with healthy and balanced food choices. As this is vital during the first trimester as well, there are no significant changes that should be made to your diet as you enter the second trimester, providing that your diet has been appropriate for the first trimester. There are certain instances where this will be different, such as in those women who are found to have gestational diabetes (which is commonly tested for during pregnancy). This condition can be harmful to the health of the fetus, and if you have gestational diabetes, your doctor might recommend certain changes to your diet. Otherwise, continue to discuss all of your concerns and questions with your obstetrician, and continue to eat a healthy and balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, as well as adequate vitamins and minerals.