ZocdocAnswersHow can I tell if I have a sexual disorder?

Question

How can I tell if I have a sexual disorder?

It takes me a very long time to climax, sometimes I don't climax at all. I am a 22 year old male. Could I have a disorder?

Answer

There is a wide range of "normal" for all stages of sexual function, particularly for arousal, erection, and climax/ejactulation. However, a change in functioning from what you had been experiencing previously can make you think that you have developed a "disorder," and this can be concerning. Each of these stages requires a complex interplay of interpersonal (related to your relationship), psychologic, endocrine (hormones), vascular (blood flow), and neurologic (brain and nerves) functions. Any of these issues can make one of the stages of sex seem abnormal for you. Most frequently, interpersonal (relationship-related) issues affect these stages, so one issue may be how you feel emotionally about your partner(s). Your personal stress level can also come into play (psychologic issue). At your age, endocrine, vascular and neurologic issues are rare, but it would be important to rule them out. You should consider having an open conversation with your partner(s) about this issue, if you feel up for it. You should then see a primary care physician to have the endocrine, vascular and neurologic issues ruled out. Then, your primary care physician can help to get to the bottom of what the issue is and refer you to a therapist if needed.