ZocdocAnswersCan sinus headaches happen all year round?

Question

Can sinus headaches happen all year round?

I feel like I'm the only one who gets sinus headaches no matter what time of year it is. Winter, spring, summer. Why does this happen?

Answer

Unfortunately sinus headaches can occur year round. Sinus headaches occur when mucus plugging causes fluid to build up in the sinuses rather than drain out to the nasal passages. Although many people have worse sinus problems in the peaks of seasonal allergies, like the spring and fall, many other sinus sufferers have symptoms all year long. One common scenario for year round sinus trouble is in people who have inside allergies (such as cats, dogs, mites, cockroaches). As these allergens are present year round, so are the symptoms! You should talk to your primary care doctor about your sinus symptoms. After confirming the diagnosis, they will have suggestions for treatment, of which there are many effective options. One very helpful approach is daily irrigation of the nasal passages with saline, using a Nettipot or similar system, in order to flush out mucus and allergens. Helpful medications include the long acting anti histamines such as loratidine (Claritin) and cetirizine (Zyrtec). Additionally, nasal steroid sprays, such as fluticasone (Flonase) can be extremely effective if taken regularly for longer period of time. Start by talking with your primary care doctor. They will help you decide which treatment option is right for your situation.