Can men get Sjogren's Syndrome?

I have joined a group to help people with Sjogren's Syndome and they're all womens. Does it affect men??
Sjogren's syndrome is a condition in which the body's immune system attacks certain body parts most importantly the glands in the eyes and mouth that make tears and saliva respectively. It is known as an autoimmune disease. Thus, the most common symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome is dry mouth and dry eyes. Like many autoimmune diseases, Sjogren's syndrome effects women more than men. More specifically, 90% of the patients that are documented to have this syndrome are women. The reason for this is unknown, but it most likely is the result of the genetic differences between men and women. It is for this reason when a women presents to me with dry eyes and dry mouth symptoms, I am much more suspicious of Sjogren's than I would be if it were a man. The best type of physician to see for Sjogren's is a rheumatologist. Reumatologists have the training and expertise to treat this disease with the best and newest medications available. With the right treatment, a patient with Sjogren's may be able to lead a healthy life with many of the symptoms controlled. Thank you for participating in this help group. I hope that helped answer you question.

Other Rheumatologists