ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of stomach cancer?

Question

What are the symptoms of stomach cancer?

I have lost my apetite and have started vomiting after eating anything. Could this be stomach cancer?

Answer

I highly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about these symptoms. I don't know any thing else about your condition as your question is quite short, but I think that stomach cancer would be lower on the list of several other possibilities. For example, it could be that you just have a gastrointestinal infection from a common virus. These will causes nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting. Similarly, an inflammation of the stomach lining (gastritis) could cause these symptoms, and could be caused by tobacco, alcohol, medications, or infections. If the symptoms have been going on for a long time, or if there is weight loss, fevers, or night sweats, then this raises the possibility of cancer higher on the list, but the other acute things would still need to be ruled out first. If you have significant or worsening abdominal pain or fever, if you notice blood in your vomit or in your bowel movements, or if there is any darkening of your urine or lightening of your stool color or change in the color of your skin or eyes, then these would be more urgent symptoms and you would need to be evaluated immediately in an emergency room.