ZocdocAnswersWill vitamin supplements help me if I don't eat fish?

Question

Will vitamin supplements help me if I don't eat fish?

I need my omega 3s but do not eat fish. Should I take supplemennts?

Answer

Vitamin and vitamin supplements can be important for normal metabolism. It is important that you speak with your doctor about which vitamins would be good for you to take and if a multivitamin along with omega 3 fatty acids would be beneficial to you. If you need to supplement your diet with omega 3s but you do not eat fish, then you may benefit from an omega 3 supplement. You can get the levels of omega 3 fatty acids that are shown to decrease coronary heart disease in dietary or supplemental sources. Omega 3 fatty acids are absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and then transported to the liver. They have been shown to influence several cardiovascular risk factors including decreasing triglyceride levels, lowering blood pressure and sometimes heart rate as well. It is important to discuss this with your physician. Omega 3 fatty acids can be associated with some side effects including GI upset, nausea and a fishy taste. This is available over the counter as well as in prescription form. These questions should be brought up to your primary care physician and you should decide together if you would benefit from taking an omega 3 fatty acid supplement in your diet.