ZocdocAnswersCould swollen lymph nodes mean cancer?

Question

Could swollen lymph nodes mean cancer?

My lymph nodes have been swollen for a month. I don't feel sick. Could this be cancer? I am 30.

Answer

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to a variety of things. There are many different lymph nodes in areas of the body and they can swell due to different things. If you are concerned about possible swollen lymph nodes you should discuss this with your primary doctor. Swollen lymph nodes can be due to infection. If you have been sick recently sometimes it can take a while before the lymph nodes return to normal size. If your swollen lymph nodes are in your neck it could be due to draining infection from your throat, ears or sinuses. Swollen lymph nodes can also be due to different types of cancer. There are cancers that originate in the lymph tissue and it could also be from cancer elsewhere that is drained to that lymph node. Cancers that originate in the lymph nodes can cause fatigue, weight loss, night sweats/chills, and other symptoms. Again, if you are concerned about this you should see your doctor. It depends on the size of the lymph nodes as well, because sometimes you can have swollen lymph nodes that are not concerning for cancer. It is very important that you speak with your physician about this issue.