Is there a way to deal with the symptoms of depression one at a time?

I try being rational about my depression but it never works. I'm 26 and have been depressed a very long time. Can I deal with my symptoms one by one?
Depression is a very common condition that affects many people throughout the country and the world. While many people are able to "survive" with this, there are fortunately some treatments that are available in order to help alleviate these symptoms. As such, I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. If helpful, he or she may refer you to a psychiatrist (a mental health specialist) who can further assist you with these symptoms. Depression, or medically known as a major depressive episode, is a constellation of symptoms. This one condition -- caused by what we believe to be an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain -- causes many different symptoms in people. While it does not cause everything in all patients -- the more common symptoms people experience include sadness, sleep or appetite changes, lack of energy / concentration/ interest, feelings of guilt and suicidal or homicidal thoughts. (IF YOU EVER HAVE THOUGHTS OF HURTING YOURSELF, SOMEONE ELSE OR COMMITTING SUICIDE -- YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM). As it is constellation, it is hard to treat symptoms individually, but need to be treated as a whole. Talk to your doctor. There are many treatments available including talk therapy and many different types of medicines. Good luck!

Other Psychiatrists