Does the South Beach diet work?

I'm a 24 year old female thinking about the SB diet. Will it work? Can I lose weight?
The South Beach diet is one of several fad diets that are available on the market. It is one of the less extreme of the fad diets, but nevertheless it has been criticized by the medical community because several of the principles on which it is based have absolutely no scientific backing at all. An alternative to the South Beach diet would be simply to set up a visit with a trained nutritionist. They are impartial with respect to the various fad diets (as they are not trying to sell a product) and therefore they can take an honest inventory of your overall eating habits as well as weight loss goals. Based on their findings, they will be able to make specific recommendations for how to construct a healthy meal plan and move forward with weight loss. Do not forget that dieting alone will not produce weight loss. It must be couple with regular exercise. The recommendation is that you need to engaged in 30-60 minutes of aerobic exercise on most days of the week. Aerobic exercise is defined as exercise that raises your heart rate and that also makes you sweat. Talk to your primary care doctor if you have more questions about weight loss!

Other Dietitians

• Alexis Beck
    Alexis Beck MPH, RD
    1051 Beacon Street
    Brookline, MA 02446
  • Deborah Jeffery
    Deborah Jeffery RD
    1800 Michael Faraday Drive
    Reston, VA 20190