ZocdocAnswersWhat causes unhappiness in adults?

Question

What causes unhappiness in adults?

I feel sad more often than not. A lot of my peers do to. I work in tech and am 33. Is it our profession or our lives?

Answer

I highly recommend that you discuss these symptoms with your psychiatrist or your primary care doctor as soon as possible. It is possible that you feel sad and run down from dissatisfaction with your job, from fatigue, or from stress. However it is also possible that you are suffering from a mood problem such as depression, and this may require treatment. Symptoms of depression include feelings of overwhelming sadness, trouble concentrating, sleep disturbances, changes in appetite, and loss of interest in hobbies, friends, or sex. If you have any or all of these symptoms, you may be experiencing depression. Occasionally people with depression will have thoughts of harming themselves or taking their own life. If you are having any thoughts like this, this is a serious medical emergency and you should seek emergency medical care. Regardless, it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor. They can perform an assessment of your overall symptoms and social functioning and help you determine whether treatment for depression is appropriate. If so, there are multiple excellent medications that are used to treat depression and that are quite safe. Your doctor will help you decide which of these medications is right for you.