Do sodas cause urinary tract infections?

I dirnk a lot of sodas and get utis all the time. Should I stop drinking sodas?
It is very unlikely that there is a relationship between drinking soda and getting urinary tract infections. Excessive soda consumption (especially non diet soda) has multiple harmful effects on the body, especially related to too much sugar intake as well as damaging the teeth. However, it does not cause urinary tract infections. If you hare having frequent urinary tract infections this is something you should discuss with your primary care doctor. It can be normal for young women to have several urinary tract infections per year, but if this is becoming a chronic problem for you, then you should get it checked out. In the meantime, there are several steps you can take to minimize the risk of getting another urinary tract infection. These include drinking plenty of liquids (to wash out the urinary system with dilute urine), making sure always to wipe front to back after using the toilet (to prevent contaminating the urethra with material from the intestines), urinating immediately after sexual intercourse, and avoiding all vaginal douching products. If this does not work, then you may need antibiotic therapy. However, your OB GYN or your primary care doctor will be able to help you make that decision.

Nearby OB-GYNs