Is vaginal discharge a sign of an infection?

I'm 26 and had some vaginal discharge this morning. Could it be an infection? Does it mean I'm ovulating?
Some vaginal discharge is a normal thing, but a change or increase in your vaginal discharge can be a sign of infection. Most women do not have any noticeable change in their vaginal discharge when they ovulate. The major noticeable change with ovulation is a change in the texture of cervical mucus. Vaginal discharge that smells bad is often the sign of an infection. The most common types of infections that cause a smelly vaginal discharge are yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, and trichomoniasis infection. Yeast infections usually cause a white discharge. They are also associated with vulvar itching and irritation. Bacterial vaginosis is an overgrowth of bacteria that normally reside in the vagina. Trichomoniasis infection is an infection with the parasite trichomonas vaginalis. Of the three, the last one is the only one that is considered sexually transmitted. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a pelvic exam. Your doctor will also want to take a sample of the discharge to be examined under a microscope. This will help your doctor determine if you have one of these three infections. If something is found, then you can get the appropriate treatment.