Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What causes vaginal blisters to form?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat causes vaginal blisters to form?


I think I have blisters on my vagina. Is this an STD?


I highly recommend that you see your OB GYN or primary care doctor to discuss this symptom. It is certainly possible that this is from a sexually transmitted infection. The sexually transmitted infection that would be most likely to cause blisters would be herpes. Herpes blisters are usually painful and contain clear fluid on a red base. They rupture to form small slowly healing ulcers. Herpes is quite contagious while the blisters are present, so if you have any concern about this you should avoid sexual activity until you are seen by your doctor and until the blisters heal up. Other things that might be associated with blisters in the vagina would include trauma from sexual intercourse. This could be avoided in the future by making sure to engage in adequate foreplay prior to intercourse to ensure proper vaginal lubrication. Other sources of vaginal irritation, such as a yeast infection may also cause areas of redness, excoriation and blistering. Your primary care doctor or OB GYN doctor will be able to take a look at the blisters and determine what is causing them. Based on the diagnosis they will help you decide whether or not a particular treatment is indicated.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.