Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Can I have genital warts in my vaginal canal?"

ZocdocAnswersCan I have genital warts in my vaginal canal?


I think I feel bumps. Could this be warts inside me? I am 22.


Genital warts are a sexually transmitted infection caused by the human papilloma virus. They result in soft, fleshy, painless growths that can be quite numerous. They can occur on the skin around the vagina, inside the vagina, and around the anus as well. Therefore, the bumps that you feel inside your vagina could in fact be genital warts, especially if you also notice warts in other places near the vagina or anus. If you think you have genital warts, you should see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. Warts are quite contagious, and so you should take care not to pass them on to any sexual partners you may have (by using a barrier method). Additional the human papilloma virus, which causes warts, also predisposes you to a risk of cervical cancer. Therefore, you should be having regular pap smears with your doctor to screen for cervical cancer (you should be having these anyway, regardless of whether or not you have genital warts). If the warts are cosmetically unpleasing, you can also talk to your primary care doctor or OB GYN doctor about getting them removed, which can often be done by freezing or by removal with electrical cautery.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.