Are vaginal yeast infections treatable?

Will they go away on their own? I am a 24 year old swimmer and am embarrassed.
Vaginal yeast infections are very common. I would recommend that you talk with your primary care doctor. Yeast infections are often treatable and your doctor should be able to help you with this. Yeast infections of the vagina are caused by an infection with a fungus (a yeast) known as candida albicans. This yeast is common throughout the environment, and can occasionally grow in the warm moist environment of the vaginal canal. Women can get these infections sporadically. This is not a sexually transmitted disease. There are some conditions (such as using other antibiotics or having uncontrolled diabetes) that cause women to get more often or more severe infections. As such, see your doctor to have this evaluated. There are many treatments -- including a vaginal application of an antifungal (like Monistat) or a one time pill that also works (like Diflucan). While it might approve on its own after some weeks, the treatment is easy and very effective. The other reason to see your doctor is that this might be another infection that is acting like a vaginal yeast infection. Trichomonas and bacterial vaginosis are two very common infections that look like this, but may not heal on their own and require different treatment. Talk to your doctor. This should be treatable.