ZocdocAnswersHow can I get rid of a vaginal yeast infection?

Question

How can I get rid of a vaginal yeast infection?

I don't want to put drugs down there. Are there any natural remedies?

Answer

I would highly recommend that you consider drugs. The anti fungal medications that are used to treat yeast infections are very safe and not at all difficult to use. In fact, most of them are over the counter and can be found in the feminine care section of your local pharmacy, so you don't even have to go to the doctor to acquire them. There are alternative remedies, such as tea tree oil, but this is actually more expensive and more likely to cause irritation and side effects than the common medications at your pharmacy. In order to prevent future vaginal yeast infections, wear light absorbent cotton underwear. Also, avoid douching or any vaginal hygiene treatments, as these disrupt the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina and can lead to more frequent infections. If you find that you are having frequent infections, or if the current infection does not clear up with the medications that you can obtain over the counter, then you may want to go see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. They will be able to confirm whether or not you are dealing with a yeast infection or something else and suggest proper treatment.