Click to book now:

Can not eating meat cause a vitamin B-12 deficiency?

What are the effects of a B-12 deficiency? Can it affect my mood. I haven't eaten meat in a month and I feel a lot moodier.
Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that is involved in many different important processes in the body. The vitamin is involved in making red blood cells. Thus deficiency in Vitamin B12 can cause anemia. It can also cause problems with nerves in your body, and severe deficiency can even cause problems thinking. The vitamin is only found in meat or other animal products such as milk. Thus, some very strict vegetarians are at a slightly greater risk of developing Vitamin B12 deficiency. In your case, your symptoms are probably not due to Vitamin B12 deficiency. This is because the body keeps stores of the vitamin that can last up to 2-3 years. This means that you probably still have plenty of Vitamin B12 stores in your body to last you for a while. I should also say that many vegetarians, even vegans who do not consume any animal products often do not get the deficiency. This is because some vitamin B12 is obtained from bacteria that are consumed inadvertently when eating fruit and vegetables. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss you new diet and determine if you need to start taking any vitamin supplements.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)