ZocdocAnswersAre weight loss diets meant for the obese?

Question

Are weight loss diets meant for the obese?

I've never seen a weight loss diet meant for people who need it most. Where can I start small and build my way up?

Answer

All weight loss programs and diets are meant for those who need to lose weight. Obesity is defined as a body mass index over 30 (with 20-25 being considered normal). Thus obesity is just the same as being overweight, it is just reserved for those people who are severely overweight. For those people that are seeking to lose weight through diet, a consultation with a primary care physician and a nutritionist can be very helpful. Coming up with a plan for weight loss can be difficult because there are so many diets out there that claim to be the best. What you need to keep in mind is that at its core, weight loss is a very simple equation. In order to lose weight, you must consume less calories than you burn. All weight loss programs that work have this fact in common. Thus the best way to lose weight is to alter both sides of the equation. Consuming foods like fruits and vegetables (that are lower in calories) and exercising to burn away more of these calories is the absolute best way to lose weight. Unfortunately, this is much easier said than done. Your next step should be to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can come up with a plan to lose weight. This plan should include a dietary change (with the help of a trained nutritionist) and implementation of an exercise plan. Frequent return visits to your doctor will also be helpful. Good luck.