ZocdocAnswersWhat can be done about a child's persistent cough?

Question

What can be done about a child's persistent cough?

He is 12 years old and he has a history of seasonal allergies and asthma. He has a persistent cough. He has been given alot of medicine and still have a persistent cough. He also, has stuffy noise and sore throat. He is takingnowCefdinir 250mg/5ml twice a day,Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray, Prednisone 20 mg 3 times a day, albuterole in his naberlizer and Promethazine-DM Syrup. What can be done to get rid of his persistent cough?

Answer

The answer to this question depends on what the cause of your son's cough is. A persistent cough can be caused by a few different problems. Since your son has allergies and asthma, then these are possible causes of his cough. Seasonal allergies can cause the nose to drip fluid into the back of the throat. This causes a bad cough especially at night when the person is lying flat. This cough will also be noticed the most during allergy season. Another cause of persistent cough is asthma itself, especially if it is not controlled. Other possible causes of a chronic cough is cigarette smoking (which I assume your son is not doing) and gastro-esophageal reflux. If your son reports heart burn, especially at night, then this is a possibility. Since someone prescribe your son an antibiotic (cefdinir), it is possible that his doctor diagnosed him with infectious bronchitis. This is an infection of the lower airways. It is usually a viral infection, though sometimes bacterial infections can occur. the cough from bronchitis can be severe and can last up to a month even with the appropriate treatment. I suggest that you schedule an appointment for your son's pediatrician (or family doctor). He or she can take a more detailed history of his symptoms while one these medications as well as perform a physical exam. I think this will be the most important step towards getting to the bottom of it.