Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What are some options for treating persistent yeast infections?"


I am a 24 year old sexually active female with persistent yeast infections. The infections have started about 6 months ago, about one month after intercourse with a new partner, my first new partner in 3 years. I am still with the same partner. I was tested for sexually transmitted diseases and all results came back negative. I am currently taking Aviane, an oral contraceptive. I have taken two courses of 3-day creams since November and symptoms were relieved for 2-3 weeks before they returned. I have limited my sugar and wheat intake and am currently taking acidophilus pills daily. What can I do?


There are a few possible causes of recurrent yeast infections that your are experiencing. One possibility is that you are incompletely treating the yeast infection. Anti-fungal creams can be effective, but if they are not used properly, then you may miss areas of your vagina and vulva that are infected.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Obgyns near you

It is possible that you would benefit from a trial of an oral antifungal medication taken for a week. Another possibility is that your infection is not a yeast infection. Bacterial vaginosis and other vaginal infections can look like a yeast infection and have many of the same features. The creams you were using for your yeast infection would not work for bacterial vaginosis. Finally, it is possible that you have another condition which is making you more susceptible to getting yeast infections. The most common disease that is associated with recurrent yeast infections is diabetes. I don't think the acidophilus pills are doing much for you. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can listen to your symptoms and perform a thorough pelvic exam. Your doctor can also take a sample of your vaginal discharge and look at it under a microscope. This will help determine if it is a yeast infection you are experiencing or something else. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.