ZocdocAnswersI am 10 weeks pregnant; is it possible for a guy that I slept with 8 weeks ago to be the father?

Question

I am 10 weeks pregnant; is it possible for a guy that I slept with 8 weeks ago to be the father?

Is this possible?

Answer

I think this depends on how accurate your dates of 10 weeks pregnant are. If this is just based on you calculating dates from your last menstrual period, then it is entirely possible, because calculation of pregnancy duration from menstrual period dates is relatively inaccurate and could easily be off by two weeks, especially if you have irregular menstrual periods. On the other hand, if you have just had a formal dating ultrasound from your OB GYN doctor, these tend to be very accurate at 10 weeks, and would be unlikely to be off by 2 full weeks. Regardless, the main priority now is to seek medical care for the pregnancy if you have not already done so. You should set up an appointment with an OB GYN doctor. Especially if this is your first pregnancy, this visit will involve a lot of questions to get a sense of your baseline health and determine if you have any medical problems. Routine blood work and urine tests and a physical examination will be performed, and you will probably have an ultrasound (if you have not already had one) to formally determine the dates of the pregnancy.