Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?


I’m 21 year old with a history of seasonal allergies. For the last 6 months, it has been particularly bad. I have a stuffy, running nose, sore throat, and my eyes are itchy and red. Should I see an allergist about this, or an Ear-Nose-Throat doctor? I’m not taking any medications.


I would suggest going to see your primary care doctor. Since you are not taking any medicines, this would be the place to start. Sinus congestion and seasonal allergies are some of the most common medical problems, and most cases can be well managed by your primary care doctor without needing to go through the bother or expense of a referral to a specialist. The mainstay of treating seasonal allergies is an oral anti histamine medication like loratidine (Claritin) or cetirizine (Zyrtec). This should help with both the eye and the nose symptoms. Depending on how bad the eye symptoms are, your doctor may also prescribe some anti allergy eye drops. Depending on how bad the nasal congestion symptoms are, they may also prescribe a nasal steroid spray, such as fluticasone (Flonase) or mometasone (Nasonex). If you have a lot of nasal congestion or sinus congestion an excellent home remedy that you can use (in addition to prescribed medications) is to flush out your nasal passages every day with a saline solution. There are several nasal saline irrigation kits available in your local pharmacy without a prescription; probably the most famous one is called the Nettipot, but there are also generic versions.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.