Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have dark circular rings near my penis?"


I have dark circle rings near penis, and dark skin near penis


Anytime you notice a change in the skin on or around your penis, you should always seek advice from a qualified health care professional. In this case, it would probably be okay for you to first see a primary care physician initially (i.e.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Primary care-doctors near you

family doctor or internal medicine doctor) to have this looked at. I should start off by stating that this may be a normal occurrence. The skin on and around the penis has a higher concentration of pigment producing cells. Thus this area of skin is always darker than the surrounding areas. With that said, this darker skin typically does not form rings or circles. My initial reaction without having seen these rings is that you may have a fungal infection of the skin in this area. For example tinea vericolor is a fungal infection of the skin which can turn patches of the skin dark, red, or even white. Tinea cruris is also a fungal infection that occurs in the crotch area, but these patches are usually red and they itch. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine the skin near your penis, make a diagnosis and recommend treatment if necessary. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.