ZocdocAnswersCan a hormone level measurement detect infertility?

Question

Can a hormone level measurement detect infertility?

I want to know if I can have a baby. I had two miscarriages in the past five years. I'm 28 now.

Answer

Female infertility is a complex problem that can stem from many different causes. True infertility is the inability to become pregnant and maintain that pregnancy. Hormones such as estrogen, progesterone, and gonadotropins are important factors that must work together for a women to be able to conceive. When there is a hormone issue (such as insufficient amounts of estrogen), most of the time this results in the inability to get pregnant. You have been pregnant twice and thus, I do not think that it is likely that you have a hormone issue. Most of the time, the cause of a miscarriage in a particular person is never known. If you continue to get pregnant, but cannot maintain a pregnancy, then you probably deserve a workup for this problem. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss your attempts to get pregnant and methods you could try using to conceive. In addition, the two of you can discuss the most likely causes of your miscarriages within the context of your personal past medical history. A full infertility workup is probably not warranted yet since you have shown that you can become pregnant. Unfortunately, having two miscarriages in a 5 year span is not all that uncommon. Good luck.