Is Huntington's Disease genetic?

Can I pass on to my children and if there's anything I can do to prevent doing so.
Huntington's disease is a neurological condition that results in dementia, movement problems and eventually death. It is a genetic disease that is passed down from parent to child. If you have Huntington's disease, then there is a 50% chance that you will pass the Huntington's gene down to one of your children. The only way to tell if your offspring will develop Huntington's disease is to have them tested for the gene. There is no know way for you to prevent the gene from being passed down when you become a mother or father. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your neurologist, or whoever you see that helps you with your Huntington's disease. I would also suggest that you bring your children along (if your children are adults). It may be important for your children to at least know that they can be tested if they choose to be. Some people choose not to be tested because they would rather live their lives without knowing. I think both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages. If your children are young, then they should be aloud to become adults before being given the option to be tested. Finally, if you have not had kids yet, then I would suggest meeting with a medical geneticist first before having children so that you understand how the inheritance of this disease works.

Other Neurologists