ZocdocAnswersCan incontinence afflict the young?

Question

Can incontinence afflict the young?

Is my son wetting the bed because of incontinence? Should I make him wear diapers to bed?

Answer

I highly recommend that you talk to your pediatrician about this problem. Nighttime bed wetting (nocturnal enuresis, as it is called in medical terminology) is one of the most common problems that pediatricians deal with. Most cases of nocturnal enuresis are not serious and do not represent an underlying medical problem. Usually your pediatrician will perform a basic physical examination and may do some urine testing to rule out common medical problems like urinary tract infections and diabetes. However, if these studies come back normal, then this is most likely a problem that will gradually resolve on its own. Most children who wet the bed will respond to simple behavioral interventions, such as limiting their intake of fluids in the evening and making them urinate before going to bed or waking up in the middle of the night to urinate with an alarm clock. In some cases, medications can be necessary to help control the urination, but this is less common. It is also helpful to explore with your pediatrician if your son might be having any psychological or emotional stressors that are new. It is quite common for bed wetting to emerge as a symptoms of stress, and dealing with the stress can resolve the issue.