Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Should I get an infectious disease consultation if I think I have a staph infection?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I get an infectious disease consultation if I think I have a staph infection?


I think I may have a staph infection. What should I do?


If you think you have a staph infection you should start by going to see your primary care doctor. Primary care doctors deal with routine skin infections on an almost daily basis, and so they should be able to help you. You should not need to see an infectious disease doctor. Consultation with an infectious disease doctor is most commonly needed in the setting of severe or recurrent skin infections. There are numerous types of skin conditions that could be either infectious or not that could give symptoms that would be concerning to you. Your doctor, however, will be able to make a diagnosis and, if an infection is going on, prescribe appropriate antibiotic treatment. If it is not an infection, they will also be able to help you determine how to get your symptoms under control. In the meantime, be on the look out for serious symptoms of a severe infection. These would include fevers, chills, and any areas of spreading redness or warmth or pus. If you have these symptoms, this could be a medical emergency and, rather than waiting for an office appointment, you may need to seek emergency evaluation by a doctor in your local emergency room.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.