Is getting up frequently a sign of insomnia?

I get up about 3 or 4 times a night. I'm a28 year old guy and I just can't stay asleep. Could I have insomnia?
There could be several causes of your sleep disturbance, and I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss this issue. The most common cause of insomnia, or sleep disturbance, is probably stress and other psychological or emotional factors. If you are currently undergoing a lot of stress or if there have been major changes in your life, these factors could cause changes in your sleep. You can talk to your primary care doctor about this and, in addition to thinking about ways to reduce the stress in your life, you may want to talk to a counselor or therapist as well. Another major cause of trouble sleeping is the ingestion of caffeine or other stimulants. You may want to try stopping all caffeine intake, especially in the afternoons and evenings and see if that makes a difference. Similarly, alcohol severely disrupts sleep. Although some people find that alcohol makes them drowsy and helps them get to sleep, it prevents good deep sleep later in the night, resulting in awakening and feeling fatigued the following morning. Start by talking to your doctor. They will help you determine if further workup of this problem is needed if a cause cannot easily be identified.

Nearby Sleep Medicine Specialists

• Dr. Eric Teller
    Dr. Eric Teller MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    38 E. 32nd Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Gregory Tsai
    Dr. Gregory Tsai MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    425 West 59th Street
    New York, NY 10019
  • Dr. Jordan Stern
    Dr. Jordan Stern MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    65 Broadway
    New York, NY 10006

Other Sleep Medicine Specialists

• Dr. Sunil Patel
    Dr. Sunil Patel MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    377 Jersey Ave
    Jersey City, NJ 07302
  • Dr. Joseph Ghassibi
    Dr. Joseph Ghassibi MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    1090 Amsterdam Ave.
    New York, NY 10025
  • Dr. Dmitriy Kolesnik
    Dr. Dmitriy Kolesnik MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    95-30 Queens Blvd
    Rego Park, NY 11374