ZocdocAnswersWill people still be able to see my invisalign braces?

Question

Will people still be able to see my invisalign braces?

Hi. I am a 28 year old woman who's about to get invisalign. I really don't want people to see my braces. How invisible are these?

Answer

Dental braces are devices used to help align and straighten teeth as well as position them with regard to your bite. Invisalign is a series of clear, removable teeth straighteners that are a relatively new alternative to traditional metal dental braces. One of the clear advantages to Invisalign braces is cosmetic. The devices are completely transparent which make them much less obvious to detect then traditional metal braces. It is almost impossible to tell from a distance that you have anything in your teeth but if someone were to take a very close look at your mouth they might be able to tell that you are wearing them. Another advantage to these type of braces is that many feel they are more comfortable. A disadvantage to some who wear Invisalign braces is that they must be removed before eating and drinking (except water). So if you plan to try to keep your braces as discreet as possible you will have to keep this into consideration when eating with other people. The success of Invisalign braces depends on you. You must wear them for a minimum of 20-22 hours a day for them to be able to work effectively. Be sure to talk to your orthodontist for more information.