ZocdocAnswersCan herpes cause keratitis?

Question

Can herpes cause keratitis?

I have keratitis and I don't know where it came from. I am 26 and also have herpes. Are they erlated?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with keratitis, which as you know is an inflammation/infection of the cornea. Keratitis can be very serious, because if it is not watched closely by your eye doctor and treated carefully, it can lead to scarring of the cornea, which obviously can greatly impair vision. You definitely should follow the directions that your eye doctor is giving you about how to treat this condition exactly. Herpes is a very common viral infection that causes cold sores and other conditions. It is also one of the leading causes of keratitis (and blindness from severe corneal scarring) worldwide. Therefore, it is certainly possible that your keratitis is related to a reactivation of your herpes virus infection. Herpes keratitis often has a characteristic look when the eye examination is performed by your eye doctor, and if they suspected herpes they probably would have taken a sample to test for it. However, if you did not mention the fact that you have herpes to your eye doctor, you definitely should do so. Talk to your eye doctor about your questions and make sure to keep your followup appointments and use the medications you have been given exactly as prescribed.