What noninvasive ways are there of treating kidney stones?

I have hemophilia and do not want them to operate on me. How can I remove my kidney stones without surgery?
There are many ways to treat kidney stones that do not involve surgery. The therapy involved will depend on many factors. The first factor is what type of kidney stone you have. Most kidney stones contain calcium, while others contain other compounds that your kidney excretes naturally. Another factor that is important is how many stones you have had, and how many still exist in your kidneys. If you had one episode of a kidney stone then there are medications that you can take to reduce chances of another stone developing. The first intervention that your doctor may initiate, is more fluid intake. The more fluid you drink, the more urine your kidneys will make and the less likely a stone will develop. There are medications that reduce the amount of calcium that your kidneys excrete. One such medication that is commonly prescribed is hydrochlorothiazide. If you have had multiple stones, or if you have existing stones in your kidneys, then you may benefit from a lithotripsy. This is a procedure where sound waves are pulsed through your skin into the kidney to break apart the stones. Your hemophilia may prevent this procedure from being possible. I think your first step should be to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss the non-invasive therapies that are appropriate for you given your medical history.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024