ZocdocAnswersDo kidney stones produce blood in the urine?

Question

Do kidney stones produce blood in the urine?

I am noticing blood in my urine I think maybe because of my kidney stones. Why does this happen?

Answer

The medical term for blood in the urine is hematuria, and if it is visible to the naked eye usually doctors refer to it as gross hematuria. When the blood is not visible, the term used is microscopic hematuria. There are several causes of hematuria and some of them are, in fact, related to the kidney. Stones in the bladder or the kidney are one important and common cause of hematuria, however, other kidney, bladder and urinary tract problems can also cause blood in the urine. Other frequent causes include infection in the urethra, bladder, or kidneys. Diseases such as glomerulonephritis (kidney inflammation), recent trauma, or even cancer can also cause blood in the urine. Kidney stones cause bleeding by irritating the lining of the blood vessels in the kidney or bladder. When this occurs it can be quite painful and kidney stones that block the ureters (ducts that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder) can cause severe pain in the back. Occasionally, disorders of the blood itself can cause blood in the urine. People who are taking blood thinners such as warfarin (coumadin) or heparin products such as enoxaparin (lovenox) or dalteparin (fragmin) can bleed if there is already a wound or trauma present. Other bleeding disorders such as hemophilia or thrombocytopenia (low platelets) can also sometimes cause blood in the urine, though this is less common. Finally, a condition known as beeturia can mimic the symptoms of hematuria by causing red or pink urine after eating beets. This can occur in up to one out of six people. Your primary care physician can best evaluate your symptoms and discuss the diagnostic and treatment options with you. Good luck!