ZocdocAnswersWill I need to bring a food diary to my lap-band (gastric banding) consultation?

Question

Will I need to bring a food diary to my lap-band (gastric banding) consultation?

Will they need to know what I've been eating, or is that important?

Answer

Gastric banding is a procedure used to reduce the size of the stomach which reduces that amount of food that needs to be consumed to feel full. It is a procedure that can be life saving for people that have tried and failed multiple diets, but still are excessively overweight. There are many potential complications of this procedure, and thus it is reserved as a last resort to weight loss. Because of this, most surgeons who perform the procedure require that the patient have documented attempts at weight loss on more than one weight loss program before they will do the surgery. Thus, your surgeon is likely to want information on what diets you have tried and how successful they have been. A diary of what you have been eating will be helpful during your first consultation. Before seeing the surgeon, it would be a good idea for you to first see your primary care physician. He or she will be able to tell you if you are a good candidate for this procedure. Your doctor will need to make these documentations about tried and failed diets in order for you to see the surgeon. In addition, your doctor will want to measure certain vitamin and mineral levels in your blood to make sure that the surgery will not exacerbate any deficiencies. Good luck.