ZocdocAnswersWill I look thinner by the time of my lap-band (gastric banding) follow up?

Question

Will I look thinner by the time of my lap-band (gastric banding) follow up?

How long will it take me to lose the weight?

Answer

First of all congratulations on working to control your weight. For many people who suffer from severe obesity, gastric banding and other forms of bariatric surgery are a very successful way to safely lose weight and prevent or control the medical problems associated with being overweight. Gastric banding is a procedure that has been around for a long time, and it is relatively safe. Furthermore, most patients who undergo gastric banding do lose a significant amount of weight. Large studies of patients who have undergone gastric banding surgery show that they tend to lose weight steadily and slowly over a period of 2-3 years. Over that time period, most patients can expect to lose up to 50% of their excess weight and maybe even more in some cases. Of course, successful weight loss following gastric banding does require that you follow the instructions of your surgeon and bariatric surgery team closely. Nutritional plans following gastric banding are quite strict, and the banding procedure itself does not automatically correct the unhealthy eating habits that led to the excess weight in the first place. Therefore, you will have to work hard over the next several years, but you can likely expect to lose a significant amount of weight. Make sure to keep all of your appointments with your bariatric surgery doctor, as they will oversee this process and will be able to answer any further questions you have.