What medication will I need to take during my lap-band (gastric banding) follow up?

After my surgery what procedures will I need to follow? I am a 30 year old male. Will I need to take a lot of medication?
The answer to your question depends on a few factors. Before a laparoscopic gastric banding procedure, there are usually no medications that the surgeon will ask you to take. After the surgery, there are usually a few medications that are important. Sometimes, the surgeon will ask you to take a short course of antibiotics after the surgery to prevent infection in the incisions. If you are having pain after the surgery, you may need to take some pain medications to make the recovery more comfortable. There are usually no required medications to take long term after a bypass procedure. The key exception to this is nutritional supplements. Some people that have this procedure are unable to consume, or absorb enough of certain vitamins or minerals. This can lead to vitamin deficiencies which can be harmful. Thus, some people that have had gastric banding need to take daily supplementation of these vitamins and minerals. Only your surgeon can tell you what you should be doing, and what medications you should be taking before and after your laparoscopic gastric banding procedure. Therefore, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your surgeon. Only this doctor can tell you for sure what medications you should be taking before and after your procedure. Good luck.