ZocdocAnswersWill they weigh me at my laparascopic surgery consultation?

Question

Will they weigh me at my laparascopic surgery consultation?

I'm embarrassed by my weight, which is why I'm getting the surgery. Do they have to weigh me at my consultation? I'd rather avoid that.

Answer

First of all congratulations on deciding to go ahead with a strategy to control your weight. For many people who suffer from obesity, a bariatric surgery is an excellent strategy both for permanently losing weight and also to help counteract the medical and psychological effects of obesity. Unfortunately, however, you will have to have your weight checked at the consultation. Since in essence the entire consultation is being set up in order to help you deal with your weight issues, it is very important for your team of doctors to know exactly what they are dealing with. Bariatric surgery generally occurs in specialty clinics where all the staff are used to dealing with the issue. Therefore you can be assured that everyone will be very respectful and will guard your confidentiality to the utmost. However, it will be very important for you to collaborate with your team as they work to help you get your weight under control. In addition to the surgeons that perform the bariatric surgery itself, the bariatric surgery team includes nutritionists, counselors, and social workers. They will all be available to help you work through the self esteem and confidence issues that arise as you move forward with this plan.