ZocdocAnswersWill they tell me about complications at my laparascopic surgery follow up?

Question

Will they tell me about complications at my laparascopic surgery follow up?

What complications are associated with the surgery? Is there a chance my stomach can become unstapled?

Answer

Any time you undergo a major operation, it is the job of the surgeon to explain in detail all the potential benefits, risks, and potential complications of the surgery. It sounds like you will be undergoing (or possibly already have had?) a laparoscopic stomach banding procedure. This type of procedure does carry significant benefits and significant complications both of which you should weigh carefully before making your final decision. A laparoscopic stomach banding can be a life saving procedure in people who have extremely difficulty losing weight and have a body mass index greater than 40. It should be viewed as a last resort after multiple diets have failed to result in weight loss. While most people that undergo this procedure do quite well, there are cases where a person can be deficient in important vitamins and minerals months to years after the surgery. Complications such as your stomach becoming unstapled are extremely rare. If you have already had this procedure, then you should schedule regular visits with your primary care physician. He or she can watch out for signs of malnutrition and monitor the weight loss that you are experiencing after the procedure. Likely you will need blood work to measure key vitamins and minerals at least once a year as a precaution.