ZocdocAnswersCan laser skin treatment remove old tattoos?

Question

Can laser skin treatment remove old tattoos?

I got a tattoo when I turned 18 that is no longer suitable at 38. How can I get it removed?

Answer

When deciding upon laser removal of tattoos, things to consider include what type of skin tone do you have, as certain skin tones are not as easy to remove tattoos upon without leaving some discoloration? When was the tattoo placed and what colors dominate? The older tattoos with darker colors sometimes can be more difficult to remove. The answers to these questions will come from your primary care doctor or dermatologist who will be able to evaluate the tattoo that you are describing and give you all the appropriate and available treatment strategies available for removing it. One of these strategies, as you mentioned, is laser removal of tattoos. There are a lot of things that are important to know before agreeing to undergo this procedure. For one, there are some limitations on how well the original tattoo can be removed. This depends on the color and depth of the ink that was placed, how old the tattoo is, and your own skin type and skin color. Again, it is recommended that you discuss any questions you have with your primary care doctor or dermatologist as they can give you all the available treatment options and risks and benefits of each procedure.