Can I get lasik eye surgery if I am far-sighted?

Is lasik only for near-sighted people? I am a 24 year old woman who is far-sighted.
Lasik surgery is a eye surgery technique that uses laser energy to reshape the cornea (the clear part of the eye up at the front where light enters). This allows for light beams to be refocused onto the surface of the retina, thereby correcting vision. Lasik surgery is most successful and most widely used in cases of myopia (near sighted). In this setting, it is very helpful and the results that are produced tend to be very stable. Hyperopia (far sighted) is much more difficult to correct with Lasik surgery. There are techniques that are used, but the results are usually not as good as with near sighted vision correction. Also, Lasik surgery results for far sighted tend to not be as stable, as there is a tendency for the cornea to go back to its pre-surgery shape after correction. That being said, many far sighted patients do undergo Lasik surgery, and they are generally satisfied with the results, in that vision is improved and even if there is a gradual return of the cornea to its pre-surgery shape, this is slow and still does not usually worsen all the way back to the way it was before. Talk to your eye doctor to see if Lasik is right for you.

Other Ophthalmologists