ZocdocAnswersHow can I help my daughter with her learning problems?

Question

How can I help my daughter with her learning problems?

My daughter has learning issues and I tryt o be supportive but she wants me to do her work. How can I keep her from becoming frustrated?

Answer

It sounds like your daughter is feeling disheartened with the difficulties she is facing in terms of learning problems and, like many children, is looking to you to help her in ways that may not be appropriate. The first step is to be evaluated by a pediatrician if you have not already done so. The reason for this is that if there is indeed a concern that she might have a learning disability, the earlier it is diagnosed, the sooner she can start receiving teaching that is catered to her specific disorder. From your question, it is unclear if you have done so, and because only your child's pediatrician can evaluate her, perform a physical exam, and evaluate her medical history (it is not possible over the internet), he or she will best be able to decide upon the appropriate work up for your child. This may include lab tests and imaging studies, or i may require a referral to a specialist for further work up. As a parent, it can be very difficult to see your child struggle, and so the best way to start helping her is by having her evaluated for further work up.