Are my shoes to blame for my leg pain while walking?

I work a desk job and wear converse all stars whenever I go out. Now I'm experiencing hip pain. I am a 28 year old programmer. Should I change shoes?
It would be pretty unusual for a problem with the shoes or with the feet to cause hip pain in someone who is 28 years old and who is not extremely active. Depending on where the hip pain is exactly would help determine what the possible causes are, and you should go see your primary care doctor who will be able to examine the leg for you. In very physically active people one cause of hip pain that is relatively common is something called iliotibial band syndrome. This is an overuse injury which causes pain mostly on the side of the thigh and knee but also radiating up into the hip. Iliotibial band syndrome is most common in runners and others performing high impact exercise. Another cause is something called sacroileitis, which is a form of arthritis affecting one of the joints i the hip. It is often associated with various arthritis syndromes like ankylosing spondylitis or inflammatory bowel disease. Pain right over the outside surface of the hip area is often due to something called trochanteric bursitis, which is an irritation of one of the bursa, or lubricating sacs, which surround the hip joint. Start by talking to your doctor, who can help you figure out what is going on.

• Dr. Noel Smith
    Dr. Noel Smith MD
    325 Broadway
    New York, NY 10007
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045