Will a leg venous doppler spot blood clots?

I take birth control pills and I started feeling pain in my leg. Will this doppler tell me if I have any blood clots?
While no test is 100% accurate, an ultrasound with Doppler imaging of your leg vessels will likely show whether or not you have a blood clot. While feeling a pain in your leg can be caused by many different problems, since you are on birth control, ruling out a blood clot is never a bad idea. The ultrasound with Doppler on your legs is a non-invasive test that uses no radiation. A blood clot in your leg can be dangerous if it decides to dislodge and go to your lungs. When this happens, we call it a pulmonary embolism which can be quite dangerous or even deadly. If no clot is found, but your doctor is still concerned about a clot, you can get a blood test for the d-dimer. This is a test that, if negative, will say for sure that you do not have a clot. If it is positive, it means you may have a clot, but your doctor still will not know for sure. If a clot is found, you will need to take medicines to thin your blood, and you probably won't be able to take birth control pills ever again. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician after your ultrasound. He or she can discuss the results and let you know what the next step is. Good luck.

• Dr. Mahyar Eidgah
    Dr. Mahyar Eidgah MD
    310 East 14th St
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Jilan Shah
    Dr. Jilan Shah MD
    247 3rd Ave
    New York, NY 10010
  • Dr. Sydney Mehl
    Dr. Sydney Mehl MD
    530 1st Avenue
    New York, NY 10016