Will liposuction get rid of my fat forever?

I am a 28 year old woman and I am thinking about lipo. But will thef at just come back?
Liposuction is a technique in which suction is used to remove fat cells from under the skin through small incisions. This results in an immediate reduction in the number of the fat cells as well as their fat content and, in that sense, the effects of liposuction are permanent. However, the body has an amazing capacity to generate and store fat. Therefore, if you do not change the lifestyle factors that led to the accumulation of the fat in the first place, the remaining fat cells in your body will simply enlarge and refill the space that the liposuction took care of. For these reasons, the only effective way to permanently reduce weight is through diet and exercise. If you are interested in this approach, you should go see a dietitian, who will be able to counsel you about your eating habits and weight loss needs and help you come up with a realistic plan for losing weight. On top of this, regular exercise is critical. Most doctors would recommend that you engage in at least 30-60 minutes on most days of aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise must be intense enough to raise your heart rate and to make you sweat.

Other Dietitians

• Alexis Beck
    Alexis Beck MPH, RD
    Dietitian
    1051 Beacon Street
    Brookline, MA 02446
  • Deborah Jeffery
    Deborah Jeffery RD
    Dietitian
    1800 Michael Faraday Drive
    Reston, VA 20190