ZocdocAnswersWhat are my treatment options for liver cancer?

Question

What are my treatment options for liver cancer?

They cannot operate because I have several small tumors. Do I need a transplant?

Answer

I am very sorry to hear that you are dealing with a diagnosis of liver cancer. This is a very difficult cancer to treat, especially when there are multiple tumors, and you will need to talk closely with your liver doctor or cancer doctor to determine which options you have. The best option for curing liver cancer is to surgically remove the tumor. However, this is often not possible, as in your case, because the cancer is often too advanced at the time of diagnosis. The only other option that offers a good change of complete cure is a liver transplant. However, whether or not you would qualify for a liver transplant depends a lot on how many small tumors there are and what they look like. In the right patient, liver transplant is a good treatment option, although the major problem is that the waiting time for a liver is quite long. Only your primary cancer doctor can determine if this is a good option for you. If neither surgery or transplant are an option, then talk to your doctor about other treatments that can be used to shrink the size of the tumors and slow their growth.