ZocdocAnswersHow effective is liver cancer treatment?

Question

How effective is liver cancer treatment?

My father is getting treated now. Is liver cancer one that is likely to come back once treated? How can we make sure he is 100% free of it?

Answer

First of all I am sorry to hear that your family is dealing with a diagnosis of liver cancer. I am sure this is a difficult time for you all, and I strongly suggest that you sit down and talk with the cancer doctor who is primarily managing your father's case. They will be most qualified to answer all of your questions and concerns. It is sometimes helpful to write your important questions down prior to the visit to make sure that you do not forget to ask anything you wanted to ask. There are many treatments for liver cancer, but which treatment is picked depends on how extensive the cancer is and whether it has spread beyond the liver. The best chances for being 100% free of the cancer are in cases in which there is only a small tumor in the liver that has not spread. In more advanced cases, a cure can be very difficult to achieve, but only your father's primary cancer doctor can address these particular issues accurately. Some of the treatments that are used for liver cancer and which your doctor can explain to you in greater detail include surgery (to cut out the tumor), liver transplantation, chemotherapy, as well as radiofrequency ablation.