ZocdocAnswersWhat are these mildly itchy raised red bumps on my hand?

Question

What are these mildly itchy raised red bumps on my hand?

I'm 20 years old and a few days ago a couple raided red bumps appeared on my hand they have gotten bigger in diameter over the past couple of days and so far no bumps anywhere besides on the back of my hand. a couple weeks ago i had dry scaling skin on the back of my hand but not where the bumps are. I'm wondering if this is some form of eczema that i need to get taken care of. please help! I'm extremely health conscious especially about my skin thank you!

Answer

There are a few possibilities. I think eczema is definitely on the top of the list, given the fact that you have had both raised itchy red areas and dry scaling areas. These are both the types of findings that would be compatible with eczema. Eczema is caused by excessive dryness in the skin. It can often be treated with good skin moisturizing. This requires a thick, greasy moisturizer rather than a simple lotion because lotions are not thick enough to have much protective effect. When the eczema is on the hands, it is also helpful to avoid over washing the hands or immersing them in water, as both of these actions are quite irritating. Finally, an over the counter steroid cream like hydrocortisone applied to the itchy spots should help them go away. The other most likely possibility is that you are having some sort of contact reaction in the skin, for example from exposure to a new cleaning product or other chemical. Fortunately, contact dermatitis is treated in much the same way as eczema, so you could also try a steroid cream on this. Please see your doctor for additional help.